WHY THIS ITINERARY?
For those looking to do a shorter Kilimanjaro trip then this 6 Days Kilimanjaro Rongai Route is generally considered easier than the 6 days Machame Route. This being said, bear in mind the final ascent is via Gilman’s point and so the summit day is actually quite far and considered more challenging than a summit bid via Stella Point. We normally recommend the 7-day version for better acclimatization and a more interesting route.
A 6 Days Kilimanjaro Rongai Route ascent of Kilimanjaro starts on the Eastern side of Kilimanjaro. This side of the mountain is relatively dry and has a relatively short forest zone. It skirts the base of Mawenzi and then ascends via Gilman’s point to Uhuru Peak. The descent is via the Marangu Route.
Kilimanjaro: views over the Mawenzi and Kibo saddle, close views of Mawenzi, the Kibo crater and ash pit, and glaciers on the roof of Africa!
Hike Distance – 43 miles / 69km
Vertical Gain – 12,994ft / 3945m
Drop – 13,176ft / 4016m
Trekking Time – 35 hours
DAY 1 – SIMBA CAMP
START – 6,398FT / 1950M
END – 8,764FT / 2671M
DISTANCE – 3 MILES / 5KM
TIME – 3-5 HRS
CLIMATE ZONE – FORESTS
After breakfast, you depart by vehicle to the eastern side of Kilimanjaro National Park. At the gate, your crew finalizes packing while you enjoy lunch. After finishing with formalities, you start hiking from Nale Moru Gate through farm and pine plantations before arriving at Simba Camp surrounded by Afromontane forest.
DAY 2 – SECOND CAVE CAMP (CAVE 2)
START – 8,764FT / 2671M
END – 11,319FT / 3450M
DISTANCE – 5 MILES / 8KM
TIME – 3-4 HRS
CLIMATE ZONE – HEATH
Today is a half-day trek and so no need to rush – take a gentle pace and enjoy the surroundings with a view of the eastern icefields as you walk.
DAY 3 – THIRD CAVE CAMP (CAVE 3)
START – 11,319FT / 3450M
END – 12,468FT / 3800M
DISTANCE – 2 MILES / 3KM
TIME – 2-3 HRS
CLIMATE ZONE – HEATH
This is one of the most direct routes up Kilimanjaro, and the route today is another half day, which means that after lunch you have time to walk higher, and then come back down in the afternoon. Walking high, sleeping low is a great way to acclimatize and also leaves lots of options of resting or simply enjoying being far away from the crowds.
DAY 4 – SCHOOL HUT
START – 12,468FT / 3800M
END – 15,749FT / 4800M
DISTANCE – 6 MILES / 10KM
TIME – 4-6 HRS
CLIMATE ZONE – ALPINE DESERT
Today you hike up into significantly high altitude and once in camp, there is plenty of time to prepare for your summit bid later that night. Your guides and crew are all on hand to do their best to prepare you for the final summit and by early evening, after some hot food, it is time to rest.
DAY 5 – SUMMIT BID / HOROMBO HUTS
START – 15,749FT / 4800M
END – 12,205FT / 3720M
DISTANCE – 14 MILES / 22KM
TIME – 16-18 HRS
CLIMATE ZONES – ALPINE DESERT / ARCTIC / HEATH
Rising early (normally before midnight) you start out from School Hut towards the peak. At night time the scree sections are normally much firmer and the nighttime start enables the best chance of a clear summit attempt. It takes around 6 hours to reach Gilman’s Point and then a further 1.5 to 2 hours to reach Uhuru Peak (Alt 19,341ft, 5985m) the top of the highest free-standing mountain in the world and the roof of Africa! You then descend the same route before but have a short stop at Kibo Hut for a refuel and rest. By the evening you descend back down to Horombo Huts for dinner and one last sleep.
DAY 6 – ARUSHA
START – 12,205FT / 3720M
END – 6,164FT / 1879M
DISTANCE – 12 MILES / 19KM
TIME – 5-7 HRS
CLIMATE ZONES – HEATH / AFROMONTANE FOREST
The final descent takes you back through the heath zone and forest to Marangu Gate. After taking the diplomats, lunch, and saying farewell to your crew, you are picked up and transferred back to your lodge for a well-deserved shower! Later that evening you will be visited by a Golden Peaks Representative to congratulate you, to find out how the trip went, and to answer any final questions you may have about your onward journey.
END OF YOUR 6 Days Kilimanjaro Rongai Route
6 Days Rongai route Includes:
- Park fees, (entry fee camping/hut fees & rescue fees crew fees)
- 18% VAT on tour fees & services
- Three health and fresh meals
- Professional and experienced mountain Guide
- Professional and experienced cooks.
- Transportation to & from the airport
- Transportation to & from the mountain gates
- Enough number of porters for your luggage, food, water, and camping equipment.
- Food, shelters, and fair wages for the porters, cooks, and guides
- Camping gears (sleeping tents, dining tents, tables, chairs, and cooking gear)
- Radio and cell phone communication that help us to stay in contact within and outside the group therefore we can respond almost instantaneously to whatever issue that may arise
- We provide our guides with professional first aids kits and pulse oximeters for daily updates of acclimatization progress
- Assistance with climbing permit procedure
- Tracking of the expedition is available online in our Instagram, WhatsUp, and Facebook accounts
6 Days Ronagi route Excludes:
- Personal porters
- All international and domestic flights
- Tourist Visas
- Medical and Travel insurance
- Tips to mountain crew
- Mountain trekking gears e.g. walking poles (available for hire upon request)
- Sleeping Bag (available for hire upon request)
- A portable flush toilet with a toilet tent is extra (US$200 per toilet + toilet tent)
- Others; Extra expenses as food or drinks separate from those described in the itinerary, satellite phone calls, transference fees, and other services not specified as included.
- Any other alterations to our itineraries
- Emergency Oxygen